Jos, Plateau State
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, National Diaspora Commission
MEMBERSHIP OF INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
• National Union of Journalist;
• National Association of Women Journalist;
• Publicity Secretary, West African Media Network, Nigeria Chapter,
• Nigerian Representative, African Media Encounter with Mrs. Gertrude Mongella
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
• Congressman Donald M. Payne (US House of Reps) Award and Certificate of special congressional recognition for her unwavering commitment to humanity and serving as Chairwoman for Nigeria House Representatives Committee on Diaspora Affairs.
• Nigerian In Diaspora Organization Globe Awards F.R.N people’s choice Awards.
• This Day 50 Women At 50 Achievers Award.
• Award of Excellence in the Pursuit of Social Justice for all.
• OAU @ 50 Ife; Merit Award for Excellence in recognition of her Immense Contribution to Political & Economic Development of the Nation.
• Nomination and sponsorship by the United Nations to the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing, China in 1995
• Winner, the Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) for the best TV reporter, 1996
• Winner, NMMA Best Presenter of the year 2000.
• Named as the millennium Model in Nov. 2001 at a special programme sponsored by Platinum Bank Plc to inspire present and future generation to be their best in this millennium.
• Winner of the Nigerian Women Award as the Most promising Young Woman, 2002.
• Winner, Young Women Achiever’s Award, Nigerian Women Award, 2002
• City People Women Award Oct, 2002.
• UNICEF Child friendly Award, 2003.
• Winner, of various awards from institutions of higher learning including UNILAG, UNN, ABU, OAU, etc.
• Best female representative of the year from four different organizations.
• Winner, Jewel of the Future Award by the African Cultural Institute & Zenith Bank Plc.
• Ikorodu Oga Role Model Award, 2006.
• Female politician of year 2006.
• Winner of the Thisday Newspaper Award as Best Rep of the year 2005.
• Partner for education and learning – PEEL Positive Role Model Award, 2008.
• Grand commander of Great Ife.
• One of 2 Alumni of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile ife given the distinguished Alumni Award for excellence in San Francisco, USA. Sept, 2008
Water Scheme at Ajaguro; Boreholes inE ight Communities; Rural Electrification in Seven Communities; Transformer for Anibaba Community, ICT Centre, Oriwu College, sponsored by NCC; Skills Acquisition and Training;. Scholarship Scheme for forty indigent children; Renovation of male ward of General Hospital, Ikorodu; Poverty Alleviation scheme and ongoing rural road accessibility
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
She was the Chairman of the House Committee on Media & Publicity.
She worked for the Nigerian Television Authority for fifteen years, anchoring the weekly NTA Newsline programme and taking a particular interest in poverty and social justice issues.
She retired from her position at NTA to stand for election in the House of Representatives, winning with a substantial majority.
she was 13 years there was a day she came back from school St. Theresa’s College Ibadan, during one of the holidays, her cousins just came in from England and they were staying together at Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja, Lagos. One of her cousins put a frying pan on the fire, and they started dancing to the music of Sunny Ade. They forgot the pan on the fire and it got burnt. Abike had to carry it with her bare hands, she was rushed to the hospital and the nurses said they gave me an award as the most courageous child of the year because I had saved our house from being burnt. She said she still has the scar in her right till today.
She also related another scenario:
She remembered a few of the pranks they played in was St. Theresa’s College, Ibadan, like jumping the fence to buy ‘Ofada Iya Akeem’s rice’. They were there on this particular day without being aware that the vice-principal had seen them. The VP waited for them to come back before she punishes them. Then the good days at University of Ife, I had so much fun on campus. Driving from Ife to Lagos was also fun.
She was also the former Chair of the House Committee on Diaspora Affairs.
She was elected for the first time in 2003, and re-elected in 2007 and 2011
She was appointed as the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora IN 2015.
“Please send your updated CV to: [email protected]” – Editor
All entries available on this Website shall be updated from time to time in order to add, modify or amend the information or contents of an existing entry. Accordingly, no legal proceedings whatsoever shall be entertained by the biographer on account of any information deemed to be inadequate or incomplete.