Vice-Chairman, Board of Directors Pi, International Co. Ltd.,1990 till date; Chairman, Board of Directors, Fountain Publications, 1990 till date; Member, Board of Directors, Shonny Investments and Properties Ltd.,1994 till date; Chairman, Board of Directors, First Interstate Merchant Bank (Nig.) Ltd., 1995 till date; Member, Executive Committee, Senior African Leadership Forum,1992 tilldate
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
– Lecturer, University of Ibadan, 1958;
– Senior lecturer, University of Ibadan, 1964;
– Dean, Faculty of the Social Sciences, University of Ibadan,1968-1970;
– Head, Department of Geopgraphy, University of Ibadan,1972-1975;
– Director, Planning Studies Programme, University of Ibadan, 1972-1981;
– Member, Senate, University of Ibadan,1965-1981;
– Editor, Nigerian Geograhical Journal, 1962-1965;
– Editor, Oxford Uiversity Press series on studies on the Development of African Resources;
– Vice-President, Nigerian Ecological Society, 1973-1979;
– President, Nigeria Geographical Association, 1972-1982;
– President, National Council Population Activities,1986-1992;
– Executive Chairman, Development Policy Centre, Ibadan,1996-2000;
– Member, Western Nigerian Economic Advisory Council,1967-1971;
– Member, Federal Public Service Review Commission,1972-1974;
– Consultant, National Census Board,1973-1974;
– Chairman, Nigerian Council for Management Development,1976-1979
– Consultant, Federal Capital Development Authority,1976-1984
– Member, Board of Trustees Nigerian National Merit Award Endowment Fund,1983-1989
– Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council, Ogun State University, Ago-Iwoye,1982-1991;
– Member, Board of Directorate of DFRRI,1986-1993;
– Chairman, Nigerian National Merit Award Endownment Fund,1989-1994;
– Executive Chairman, National Board for Community Banks,1991-1994;
– Board of Directors, Nigerian Agricultural Products Co. Ltd.,1975-1976;
– Vice-Chairman, Pai Asssociation International Nig.,1974-1989;
– Vice-President, Governing Council for Pan African Institute for Development, 1972-1978
– Vice-President, Governing Council for Pan African Institute for Development, Douala Cameroon 1978-1984
– President, International Geographical Union (IGU), 1980-1984;
– Vice- President, International Geographical Union, 1980-1992;
– Chairman, International Committee for Overcoming Hunger in the 1990s, 1988-1994;
– Visiting Research Fellow, World Bank, 1990;
– Adviser to the Secretary General, United Nations Second Conference on Human Settlements,1994-1999.
– Fellow, University College London, 1981;
– Fellow, Nigerian Geographical Association, 1984;
-Winner, Prize in Geography, University College, Ibadan 1950/1951 and 1951/1952;
– Recipient, David Livingstone Centennial Gold Medal by the American Geographical Society for distinguished contribution to the geography of Africa,1972;
– Recipient, Nigerian National Order of Merit Award (NNOM),1980;
– Recipient, Grand Medaille of the French Geographical Society,1993;
– Recipient, Gold Medal of the Royal Scotish Geographical Society,1994;
– Recipient, Distinguished Africanist Award by the African Studies Association of the USA, 1997;
– Recipient, UNCHS Scroll of Honour for outstanding contribution to human settlements development,1998;
– Foreign Association of the United State’s National Academy of Sciences, Wahington, D.C,1999;
– Winner, Vautrin Lud Prize, 2017.
– Foreign Honorary Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
– Yoruba Towns, 1962;
– Urbanization in Nigeria,1968;
– Cities and Social Order, 19740;
– Shelter Provision in Developing Countries, 1978;
– The Development Process: A Spatial Perspective 1st and 2nd Edition,1980 and 1989 respectively);
– Geography and the Dilemma of Rural Development in Africa, 1981;
– State of the Earth: Contemporary Geographic Perspectives, 1997.
– A Measure of Grace: The Autobiography of Akinlawon Ladipo Mabogunje published by BookBuilders, 2011.
– Approach to Rural-Urban Migration,1970;
– Manufacturing and the Geography of Development in Tropical Africa,1973;
– Towards an Urban Policy for Nigeria,1975;
– Growth Poles and Growth Centres in Regional Development of Nigerian,1978;
– The Dilemma of Rural Development in Africa,1981;
– A New Paradigm for Urban Development,1992;
– The Environmental Challenges in Sub-Saharan Africa,1995;
– Preparing African Cities for the Bond Market, 1998.
– Honorary D.Sc., University of Benin, 1995;
– Honorary D.Sc., Ogun State University, 1996;
– Honorary D.Sc. (Economics), Stockholm School of Economics Sweden,1973;
– Honorary D. Litt, Michigan State University, USA,1978.
Prof. Mabogunje became a Senior Lecturer in 1964 and a Professor of Geography in 1965. Thus, at the tender age of 34 years and within seven years of joining the University staff, he had reached the highest level of his profession. This is a record which has been impossible to equal or break not only in the Department of Geography but also in the Social Sciences in general anywhere in Africa.
“Please send your updated CV to: [email protected]” – Editor
All entries available on this Website shall be updated from time to time in order to add, modify or amend the information or contents of an existing entry. Accordingly, no legal proceedings whatsoever shall be entertained by the biographer on account of any information deemed to be inadequate or incomplete.