Okurike Town, Biase LGA, Cross River State
– Pupil State Counsel, Ministry of Justice, Ikeja, Lagos State, 1978-1979;
– Partner, Effiom Ekong & Company, Calabar, Cross River State, 1979-1988;
– Principal Partner/Head of Chamber, Walter Onnoghen & Associates, Calabar, Cross River State, 1988-1989;
– Judge, High Court, Cross Rivers State Judiciary, Calabar, Cross River State, 1989-1998;
– Chairman of Cross Rivers State Armed Robbery and Firm Arms Tribunal, 1990- 1993;
– Judge, High Court, River State, 1992-2004;
– Chairman, Judicial Enquiry into the Crisis between Students of the University of Calabar and Obufa Esuk Orok Community, Calabar, Cross River State, 1996;
– Chairman, Failed Bank Tribunal, Ibadan Zone, 1998;
– Justice of the Court of Appeal, 1998-2005;
– Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, 2005-;
– Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, 2016;
– Chief Justice of Nigeria, March 2017 (resigned in 2019).
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
In 2007, Justice Onnoghen played a huge role in 2007 election which saw the Late Umaru Yar’adua as President of the federal republic of Nigeria. He had a dissenting judgment that indeed annulled the presidential election. His position was however a minority judgment.
In February 2016, Justice Onnoghen led a seven-man panel of Justices of the apex court who reviewed and upheld the death sentence of Chukwuemeka Ezeugo (aka Rev. King) of the Christian Praying Assembly.
“Please send your updated CV to: [email protected]” – Editor
All entries available on this Website shall be updated from time to time in order to add, modify or amend the information or contents of an existing entry. Accordingly, no legal proceedings whatsoever shall be entertained by the biographer on account of any information deemed to be inadequate or incomplete.