Lessel, Ushongo Local Government, Benue State
M.D., Ph.D, J.D. (Medicine), J.D. (Law)
Founder, Orhii Law Firm, PLLC, Houston, Texas, 2007-; Consultant/Expert on Anti-Counterfeiting and Brand Protection
– Clerk for Honorable Justices Sylvester Umaru Onuh and James Ogebe (both now retired Justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria) and Honorable Justice Aloysious Iyorgyer Katsina Alu, GCON (now Retired Chief Justice of Nigeria), the High Court of Justice, Makurdi, Benue State;
– Lecturer, University of Jos, Plateau State;
– Biomedical Scientist, University of Texas Health Science Centre, San Antonio, 1993-2003;
– Director, National Gold International Consortium Corporation, Houston, Texas, 2007-;
– Director-General, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), 2009-2016;
– Vice-Chair, International Medical Products Anti-Counterfeiting Taskforce (IMPACT), Geneva, 2009 to 2012;
– Pioneer Chair, Steering Committee of the WHO Membership Mechanism on Spurious, Substandard, Falsely-Labelled, Falsified Counterfeit Medical Products.
– Member, Texas Bar;
– Member, The American Bar Association (ABA);
– Member, The American Society for Bone & Mineral Research (ASBMR);
– Member, The Medical & Dental Council of Nigeria;
– Member, The European Pineal Society (EPS);
– Member, The American Diabetes Association (ADA).
– Winner, African Public Health & Safety Award presented by African
Leadership Magazine, Kenya, 2009;
– Winner, Blue Ribbon Award presented by Joint Technical Committee – UNICEF, 2009;
– PharmaVOICE 100 Most Inspiring Personalities in the Life Sciences
– Honorary Fellowship Award, Chemical Society of Nigeria;
– Recipient, National Honour of the Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) conferred on him by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for his contribution in the development of Science and Medicine in September 2012.
– Presented the Key to the City of District Heights, Maryland and made Honorary Citizen of the State, 2013;
– Certificate of Recognition by Senate of State of Georgia, USA for outstanding achievements in the use of cutting-edge technologies to fight drug counterfeiting.
Dr Orhii has authored and co-authored several scientific publications.
During his tenure as the Director-General of NAFDAC, Dr. Orhii introduced multi-dimensional and well-coordinated strategies in fighting the menace of counterfeit regulated products. He pioneered the use of cutting-edge technologies, including the use of TRUSCAN, a hand-held device used in checking the quality of medicines on the spot. This innovation made NAFDAC, the first Medicines Regulatory Agency in the world to successfully deploy the TruScan.
Another innovative strategy brought in by Dr. Orhii was the use of Mobile Authentication Service (the use of Short Messaging Service to check the quality of medicines before purchase). This innovation has put the power of detecting counterfeit medicines in the hands of the consumers, thereby recruiting the over eighty million cell phone users in Nigeria as potential NAFDAC informants.
The Agency under Dr. Orhii was rated among the top 18 Medicines Regulatory agencies in the world, the first in Africa and the only other one apart from South Africa to belong to that elite group.
In recognition of these efforts, Dr. Orhii is frequently sought after to contribute to global discussions on anti-counterfeiting and regulatory issues that directly impact on the global community especially in this era of increased globalization. In one of such cases, he was invited by US Council on Foreign Relations to present a position paper that was used at the G8 Summit held in Chicago, USA in 2012.
In 2015, Dr. Orhii was one of the 16 distinguished Nigerians appointed by President Goodluck Ebele Johnathan to serve on the Presidential Transition Committee to ensure a smooth transition of power from the PDP Presidency to the APC.
No. xx, Kashim Ibrahim Road, Makurdi, Benue State, NIGERIA.
“Please send your updated CV to: email@example.com” – Editor
All entries available on this Website shall be updated from time to time in order to add, modify or amend the information or contents of an existing entry. Accordingly, no legal proceedings whatsoever shall be entertained by the biographer on account of any information deemed to be inadequate or incomplete.